The Secret to Banishing Bad Breath
There is no way to sugar-coat it – bad breath is embarrassing. Fortunately, with proper oral hygiene and some helpful home remedies, you can avoid the embarrassment of bad breath forever. There are many reasons for why a person can suffer from bad breath. Typically, it’s origin can be traced to bacteria build-up in the mouth as well as other reasons including smoking, dry mouth, gum disease, etc.
Halitosis or chronic bad breath is usually a sign of gum disease. If you brush and floss regularly and still can’t get rid of your bad breath, its usually clear sign that you should visit your dentist for a consultation. Your dentist will be able to properly diagnose the cause of your bad breath and make the necessary recommendation for proper treatment. The following tips are ways to keep your breath smelling fresh and improve your overall oral hygiene.
- Floss – Food particles that are trapped between teeth emit a foul odor as they decay.
- Rinse – Most commercial mouth rinses help temporarily fight bad breath but for a more permanent solution, baking soda or diluted peroxide is better.
- Scrape – Often forgotten, the tongue scraper will remove the bacteria trapped around the taste buds.
- New Toothbrush – It is recommended that you change your toothbrush every 3 months.
- Drink Water – Drinking water helps dry mouth and washes away food particles.
- Limit Certain Beverages – Coffee, beer, wine, whiskey are all beverages that can contribute to bad breath.
At iSmile Dental in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY, we advise our patients to keep up good oral hygiene habits. Getting your routine dental cleaning every 6 months, along with taking advantage of the above tips can keep your breath smelling fresh and clean. Contact us if you have any questions or if you would like to schedule a preventative visit.